Everyone seems to be a smart shopper today. Of course, retailers make it easier with digital coupons and other savings opportunities. But, there are ways to make significant savings in your home especially when it comes to energy. Try some of the following ideas and track the difference it makes in how much you have left over at the end of each month.
• Buy energy efficient bulbs for your home. Today’s light bulbs will provide lighting that lasts for hours longer and also reduce emissions because they will require less electricity to be generated at power plants. This is not only good for your costs but helps the environment as well.
• Most appliances are now designed to operate much more efficiently in the home by using less electricity. For example, today’s water heater operates more efficiently by heating the water as it is needed and not keeping an entire tank of water hot all the time. Washers and dryers are also made to use less electricity when they are operating.
• Incorporate ‘passive’ solar design concepts into your home wherever possible. For example, replace older windows with more energy efficient ones, and be sure that your home is properly insulated and sealed tight against heat and air loss during the summer and winter months.
• Purchase drapes or blinds that keep heat out in the summer and in during the winter. All types of materials that are being made for modern homes try to support energy efficiency. For example, draperies are often lined with insulation.
• Use the tried and true method of turning things off that aren’t in use and even unplugging them. Of course, your refrigerator, washer and dryer will always need to be plugged in. Even such things as Google Home must remain plugged in to be able to work on a moment’s notice. But, if you have electric appliances that you only use sporadically – unplug them!
• Do an inventory of your home to see other ways you may be able to save energy. You might consider having a representative from the electric company help you find energy cost savings or use professionals from other companies.