J.M. Mullen has performed numerous commercial electrical installations projects including indoor soccer fields, restaurants, and churches. Whether you want to renovate an individual office, or upgrade an entire commercial space, J.M. Mullen Electric can provide a complete “turn-key” installation.
Our vast supply chain and in stock products allow us to react quickly to residential service calls. Whether you need repairs, maintenance or new construction work completed, J.M. Mullen Electrical Services can provide cost effective solutions for your project. Learn more about how we can help you or contact us to get started today!
Our experienced electricians are on-call to service any electrical issue your company may encounter. We offer property management for all types of properties, large or small. Our competitive rates and attention to detail make us an industry leader in this discipline. Learn more about our property management now!
J.M. Mullen Electric can provide you with 24-hour reliability in response to any electrical issue you may be experiencing. Our on-call service electricians are available anytime, day or night, to troubleshoot the problem and get things back to normal. Need help? Fill out a service ticket and we’ll get right on it!
Welcome to J.M. Mullen Electric
For over 25 years, J.M. Mullen Electric has become an industry leader in the electrical trade. This is because we work hard for our customers and provide them quality service at a fair price. Throughout the years this has translated into a reputation of trust and distinction, on which we pride ourselves on every day. Because of this, repeat customers and their needs have become a substantial part of our day-to-day operations.
From starting as a small contractor working locally in the Baltimore area, our geographical scope has grown to cover all of central Maryland. From Baltimore County to Calvert County, from the Eastern Shore to the District of Columbia, J.M. Mullen Electric provides fast and dependable service that our customers have come to appreciate.
Feel free to give us a call regarding any electrical installation. We have the knowledgeable office staff to get the job off the table quickly; the experienced electricians to handle the installation effectively, and follow-up service upon completion to ensure your complete satisfaction.
Our customers include general contractors, developers, property managers, bankers, landlords, restaurant owners, retailers, and residential customers. Customer satisfaction is at the forefront of our overall mission because we know how important effective communication is in providing service quality. Our staff is prepared to see through any project, on time and budget.
Why choose us?
Our experienced and personable electricians are knowledgeable in all electrical fields. Our office staff has been working in the industry for a combined 61 years, giving us unparalleled experience in managing projects from start to finish! Contact us today to get started on your project!
We are quickly coming up on the wettest months of the year all along the East Coast. Winter and spring flooding are not uncommon and while it is not possible to stop Mother Nature, we can be proactive in our response. What follows are a list of measures to take before the water hits to ensure the greatest amount of safety and experience the least amount of damage.
• Make sure your gutters, downspouts and drains are clear. Keeping these areas unobstructed will allow the water to move away from the home’s structure as quickly as possible.
• Move as much of your goods and furnishings as possible from the lower floors to the upper parts of your home, such as to a second story or attic. Store materials in waterproof containers. This should include valuables, clothing, and small electronics.
• Create a record of your home goods, including the receipts and pictures of those items that may be very costly to replace. Make sure this information is tucked away in a dry, safe place and easily accessible.
• Turn off all utilities in advance of a flood. Your water, gas and electricity are all subject to creating potential hazards for homeowners and rescue personnel who may venture into the area. While it may be inconvenient to go without these utilities in the short-run, turning them off may save lives in the end. In response, be sure to have plenty of bottled water, flashlights and other non-battery-operated sources of light available. Today there are many options for staying out of the dark.
• Elevate your appliances on cement blocks to keep them off the floors. Contact your utilities expert if you need assistance. Do not unhook your appliances without the oversight of an expert. Wrap your air conditioner completely in plastic as well and be sure it is in the off position.
• Open the windows of the house on the lower levels. If there is flooding they will not be able to keep the water out and will only be subject to breaking. In this way you may not have to replace the windows after a flood event.
Again, no one is claiming a flood is on the horizon but it’s always better to be prepared. If you are looking for professional electrical support in case of a natural disaster, contact the experts at J.M. Mullen Electrical Services. It is our pleasure to serve you.
January is traditionally a time for making resolutions and refreshing your life. During this time of year, people are more inclined to visit the dentist, doctor, and optometrist for annual assessments of their health. It is also time to review the state of your home from top to bottom as well. Included in this to-do list is an annual electric checkup.
Here are the benefits
• An annual check up of the electrical wiring and boxes in and around your home will help to reveal any potential hazards that could result in a fire. Outdated wiring, fixtures and electrical systems are a significant cause of home fires, particularly in the winter when these systems are taxed more than most times of the year. Annual electric preventive checkups will ensure your home system is in healthy working condition.
• Annual checkups of your electric system will also uncover improper overloading of the system. For example, perhaps you have an extension cord with too many appliances drawing electricity from this single source. All too often this can spark a fire. Annual checkups help to ensure the safety of all occupants.
• These checkups will also include an assessment of your appliances and other electric-powered equipment that have the potential to cause a fire because they may be outdated or can no longer be operated safely. These are items that will need to be replaced – a seemingly costly choice that pales in comparison to losing an entire home or injuring or causing the death of occupants.
• Ensuring that your home is up to the latest local, state and national electric standards that are imposed on structures. These standards change over time and it is incumbent upon the homeowner to keep up with this information and be compliant.
An electric inspection will include:
• An examination of all outlets.
• An examination of the circuit breaker or panel.
• An assessment of scenarios within the home that are subject to potential overloads.
Now, do not expect these annual inspections to come without a cost. You have to pay for your other annual checkups – right? But, when you weigh the benefits against the cost, I expect you’ll be scheduling your appointment today.
If you are in need of expert electric services, including annual checkups, contact J.M. Mullen Electric Services. It will be our pleasure to serve you.
While the most talked about renewable resource for generating power is usually solar, there are other resources just as popular and effective. That is not to say that harnessing the sun’s rays to generate electricity is not highly effective, it is one of the best alternatives for reducing carbon emissions that are instigating climate change.
As well, hydropower is an energy source that has been in use since 1880. People are usually unaware of the fact that hydroelectric dams have been the single largest source of renewable electricity generation for the past century.
But it is wind power that is stepping up to become the most common source of energy in 2019. A whopping $145 billion in investments over the last decade alone all but ensures this form of energy generation is expected to be permanent and a leader.
It should be noted that even with all this money spent on wind power it is currently only providing 6.5 % of electricity to Americans in 2018. This figure is expected to rise only marginally in 2019 to 6.6%. These figures are mirrored for hydroelectricity which, as an aside, tells us that our efforts to capture natural and renewable resources for the purpose of generating electricity fall short of our needs significantly.
Altogether, statistics show that 17% of electricity in the United States comes from renewable resources. That means solar only accounts for approximately 4-5% when combined with other renewables. Another 20% is generated from nuclear energy, leaving the remaining amount coming from fossil fuels (and negligible things like wood, biomass, etc.).
The purpose of sharing this information is not to persuade or argue for one energy source over another. However, it would be instructive to become educated on the various sources of energy that will be powering your home, this country and the world in the future and, perhaps, make energy choices that you believe will be most valuable in the long run.
Meanwhile, if you have questions about the state of electricity in your own home or business, we invite you to contact the experts at J.M. Mullen Electrical Services. We are here to serve the needs of our community.
If you celebrate Christmas, then you likely enjoy the decorating that comes with it. Nothing puts you in a holiday mood quite like a tree lit up, carols playing in the background and festive lights highlighting your home’s exterior. The downside of this is the amount of time and energy it takes to install outdoor lighting. Never mind the threat to life and limb when it comes to putting up the lights and taking them down. Often, it must be done between weather events that include everything from snow storms to hail. So, while sitting by your fireplace enjoying a hot cup of chocolate, you may have been thunderstruck with the idea – why not keep your Christmas lights up all year round? Well, let’s investigate the pros and cons of this idea more closely.
• Use white lights to decorate your outdoors, that way they can be enjoyed year-round. While red, green, blue and yellow lights scream ‘Christmas’, white lights are pure and quietly elegant. Put these up all around your home and you can turn them on and off whenever the mood suits you. Just don’t use white lights that are indicative of winter weather, such as icicles.
• Today’s outdoor lighting is able to be programmed to change colors to match the season or holiday – red for Valentine’s Day, pastels for Easter, red, white and blue for the 4th of July. Even so, the most advanced lights are still only intended to be left out for perhaps up to 3 months, then it’s time to take them down. The reason is simple – the cords that cover wiring are subject to cracking and wearing out in regular weather. This makes them electric hazards instead of electric delights.
That’s right. Lighting that is left out too long can become dangerous to health and home. If left on the roof or trees they may spark and catch fire, leaving your home in ruins. In fact, if you take the time to read the warranty and instructions included in each package of lighting – manufacturers recommend you not keep them up over extended periods of time. For now, outdoor lighting should be used in limited time frames.
As for the hassle of having to put up and take down the lights, consider it all part of the season! For all electricity-related information, contact the experts at J.M Mullen Electrical Services.