J.M. Mullen has performed numerous commercial electrical installations projects including indoor soccer fields, restaurants, and churches. Whether you want to renovate an individual office, or upgrade an entire commercial space, J.M. Mullen Electric can provide a complete “turn-key” installation.
Our vast supply chain and in stock products allow us to react quickly to residential service calls. Whether you need repairs, maintenance or new construction work completed, J.M. Mullen Electrical Services can provide cost effective solutions for your project. Learn more about how we can help you or contact us to get started today!
Our experienced electricians are on-call to service any electrical issue your company may encounter. We offer property management for all types of properties, large or small. Our competitive rates and attention to detail make us an industry leader in this discipline. Learn more about our property management now!
J.M. Mullen Electric can provide you with 24-hour reliability in response to any electrical issue you may be experiencing. Our on-call service electricians are available anytime, day or night, to troubleshoot the problem and get things back to normal. Need help? Fill out a service ticket and we’ll get right on it!
Welcome to J.M. Mullen Electric
For over 25 years, J.M. Mullen Electric has become an industry leader in the electrical trade. This is because we work hard for our customers and provide them quality service at a fair price. Throughout the years this has translated into a reputation of trust and distinction, on which we pride ourselves on every day. Because of this, repeat customers and their needs have become a substantial part of our day-to-day operations.
From starting as a small contractor working locally in the Baltimore area, our geographical scope has grown to cover all of central Maryland. From Baltimore County to Calvert County, from the Eastern Shore to the District of Columbia, J.M. Mullen Electric provides fast and dependable service that our customers have come to appreciate.
Feel free to give us a call regarding any electrical installation. We have the knowledgeable office staff to get the job off the table quickly; the experienced electricians to handle the installation effectively, and follow-up service upon completion to ensure your complete satisfaction.
Our customers include general contractors, developers, property managers, bankers, landlords, restaurant owners, retailers, and residential customers. Customer satisfaction is at the forefront of our overall mission because we know how important effective communication is in providing service quality. Our staff is prepared to see through any project, on time and budget.
Why choose us?
Our experienced and personable electricians are knowledgeable in all electrical fields. Our office staff has been working in the industry for a combined 61 years, giving us unparalleled experience in managing projects from start to finish! Contact us today to get started on your project!
What home with or without children does not have at least one video game system? They are usually plugged in and ready to play at a moment’s notice and remember, video games are not just for kids anymore. The games have long since graduated to have adult appeal. And for those who are really into it, the newest wrinkle to video gaming is virtual reality, which allows you to immerse yourself in the middle of the action.
But, have you ever wondered how much electricity these video game systems are using? Let’s take a closer look at the answer to this question. First, it should be noted that many game consoles have what is known as a ‘standby mode’. Standby mode lowers the amount of electricity the console is consuming when not in active use. The problem is that most game consoles are now streaming everything. They have become the entertain hubs and as a result they are using much more electricity than before.
Whenever a device is plugged in and left on, even in standby mode, it is still consuming electricity. You may have seen commercials urging consumers to unplug your phone’s power cord when you are not charging it because it wastes electricity. Well, the truth is most game consoles left in ‘standby mode’ also waste electricity. Experts suggest that the average household wastes nearly $200 dollars a year on wasted energy consumption. I am sure you could think of other ways to use that money!
Researchers have calculated the average energy use for various game consoles. They have found that the newest Xbox and PS4 consoles use 3x the amount of energy than even the generation before! The Xbox consumes an average of 72 watts an hour and the PS4 89 watts an hour. The government’s Energy Star standard is 50 watts per hour, so it is easy to see they exceed that number. Too, this does not take into account the amount of energy used when they stream live Netflix or Amazon Prime games.
In this era of DIYers many people might be inclined to try to replace a socket or figure out why a kitchen appliance keeps shorting out. While we applaud the do-it-yourself spirit on which the United States was built, there are some thing that are better left to an expert. This would include anything related to repairing and installing electrical devices. Here are a few reasons why you should hire a professional electrician to get the job done.
- Hire a professional electrician to be safe. Electricity is a dangerous commodity, even when you know what you’re doing. In the hands of a novice it can be deadly.
- Worry about tomorrow. So, maybe you have been able to handle what you think is a minor electrical job around the home. The question is have you addressed it correctly so that you are sure there won’t be problems in the future.
- Hiring a professional electrician is a safer choice because they have the training, education and background to ensure they are able to complete the job appropriately. You should never hire an electrician that is not licensed. There are too many things that could go wrong that could place your family in a dangerous situation.
- If you want to save money it is best to hire a professional electrician. They are more likely to get the job done right the first time, thereby saving you money.
- Get work done that is guaranteed. When you hire a professional electrician be sure to get a written guarantee for the work being done. That protects you and the worker so there is no disagreement about what is expected.
- Hiring a professional electrician helps to ensure that your appliances and electronic devices are protected. There is nothing more damaging than a power surge; it can destroy everything you own.
If you need more good reasons to turn to a professional electrical service company, contact the experts at J.M. Mullen Electrical Services. We have been in business for four decades and we have all the answers to your electrical needs!
Most people turn switches off and on and expect the miracle of electricity to happen without giving it much thought. But there is a sophisticated system behind the process of bringing electricity into your home and that is what we will discuss in this blog.
The system of home electrical service begins with the lines either strung from power poles or buried underground and the accompanying equipment that is placed strategically outside your home. Where the power enters your home is called the ‘service entrance’.
Power comes through an electric meter. This is how the electric company keeps track of how much you use each month and from which your bill is calculated. Generally speaking, you have three wires that provide your service. Two are cables that carry 120 volts apiece. The third cable is a ‘ground wire’.
The electric meter is usually located on an exterior wall of the home but may also be found within the breaker box itself. It measures the electricity that is used by the homeowners. Electric usage is measured in terms of kilowatt hours (kWh). An easy way to understand this is that a 100-watt light bulb burning for ten hours uses 1 kWh of electricity. While meters have been analog for the most part, more of them are being replaced by digital meters which provide a more accurate usage reading.
Of course, once the electricity enters the home it does not stay in one place! It has to be distributed through circuits across the entire area (indoors and out). To prevent an electric overload, each circuit comes with a breaker that can shut down the power. You are able to shut off the electricity that leaves the breaker to the various household circuits but not the electricity coming into the home itself.
Electric boxes in the home may be plastic or metal. It is from here that the wires and other devices, such as switches, outlets and more will be connected. All metal electrical boxes must be grounded while plastic boxes are non-conductive and do not need grounding.
The availability of electricity is so widespread and ubiquitous that people usually don’t give it a second thought. No matter if you’re in a high rise in the middle of a densely populated urban area or at a remote cabin in the mountains, people expect to walk in, flip a switch and find they are fully hooked up to electricity. But what does this involve? In this blog we will provide a brief overview of the different types of electric services that combine to keep the lights on (TVs playing, air conditioning running, etc.) across the country.
• Different types of properties have varying types of electrical needs. Usually residential structures may need circuit panel updates, upgrades or repairs. On the other hand, commercial and industrial locations can be subject to regular additions to their electrical systems as well as upgrades and changes to the control systems.
• Commercial sites are always in the process of being changed. For example, parking garages may be enhanced, store fronts and their insides may be changed as new owners and goods are switched. As a result, you will see construction projects constantly in process. This will likely require electrical services such as refurbishing and refitting or retrofitting the electrical systems. One of the most important services provided by electrical installation companies is attendance to the health and safety laws. Often, regular inspections of commercial electric systems must be conducted to ensure the ongoing safety of employees and the public.
• Industrial sites are those that include factories (large and small) and designated industrial parks where multiple types of industries have been zoned to operate. Just what types of electrical services are required in these areas? Plenty – and they are often highly sophisticated. For example, the design and installation of high-voltage boards and the accompanying machinery is a challenging task that is not prepared and completed overnight. These same locations will also need control system installations as well and then there is the issue of regular maintenance and repair required by such notable government overseers as OSHA. Again, this is for the safety and benefit of all.
If you are in need of commercial, industrial or residential electrical services, contact the experts at J.M. Mullen Electrical Services. We have been providing quality electrical support to companies and homeowners for the past 25 years…and our reputation is unmatched.