Power outages can happen at any time and can be caused by snow, high winds, lightning, a car accident, equipment failure, or even animals. Whatever the cause, it’s important for you to know what to do to safeguard your home, and your family, during and after a power outage.
It’s important to have non-electric light sources such as a flashlight, battery-powered light, or candles. In the case of candles, make sure they are used in a sturdy, secure holder and that they are extinguished when you’re finished or when you go to bed.
TURN OFF APPLIANCES
When the power goes out, turn off appliances that were in use. That include stoves, dishwashers, computers, printers, etc. When the power comes back on, there is a surge of electricity, which can damage electronic equipment. In the case of major appliances, if you were using your stove and a burner was on, you may not remember it when the power comes back on and now you have a safety hazard. Once the power is turned back on, wait a few minutes before turning on appliances, and turn them on one at a time.
Check around your yard for downed power lines. Never pick up or touch a power line. Report them to your power company immediately. If you’re driving and a power line falls across your car, stay inside the car and wait for emergency services to come and get you out of the car. Even though the car’s rubber tires act as a ground in certain circumstances, metal surfaces on your car could still cause shock or electrocution.
If you have a generator, take the time to read and familiarize yourself with the manufacturer’s directions in the event of a power outage. Unplug anything plugged into the generator. Along these same lines, do not run an extension cord from a nearby house to use their power.
AVOID STANDING WATER
If you have water in your basement and there are electrical outlets in the area, don’t go into the water, it could be electrified.
If any of the following occurs either during or after a power outage, call an electrician to check and repair any damage: sparks, arcing, burnt outlets, damaged wires, or short circuiting. The damage from these occurrences could be more extensive than they first appear. A professional electrician will be able to provide a comprehensive inspection and make any necessary repairs.
The staff of JM Mullen are experienced professionals with over 25 years of experience. We are leaders in the industry and can meet your electrical maintenance or repair needs. Call today for an appointment.