Electrical Heavy-up,electrician
Written by John Mullen

Keep Your Home Warm and Safe

Every year there are tragic stories about home fires that result from improperly used electric heaters. It’s doubly tragic because these fires can be prevented. According to the National Fire Prevention Association, over 50% of all house fires and house fire deaths are caused by electric space heaters that are too close to things that can catch fire. Another cause of heater fires is failure to clean and maintain them. To safely enjoy the added warmth and convenience of a portable electric heater, follow these guidelines.

Keep Your Distance

Most electric heater fires begin because they’re placed too close to things like upholstered furniture, bedding, mattresses, etc. Before using a portable heater, read the manufacturer’s directions. Keep heaters at least three feet away from combustible items and never leave a heater unattended. When you go to bed at night, electric heaters need to be turned off. 

Read More
Electrical contractor in Annapolis MD
Written by Stu Kushner

Common Causes Of Electrical Fires In The House

According to figures from the U.S. Fire Administration, Americans experience 25,000 electrical fires per year. These events cause property damage and up to 1,300 cases of injury or death per year. Sadly, most of these fires could have been avoided. Here are the common causes of electrical fires in the home:

Misusing Extension Cords

Incorrect use of extension cords is a common cause of house fires. The Christmas season is the time when most extension cord-related fires occur. People tend to overload their extension cords with plugs from Christmas lights and other devices at this time of the year. 

Read More