The average person walks into a building with automatic doors swishing open, lights on, elevators and escalators running, and a host of other electric devices humming away hard at work and we take it for granted! The truth is there are a host of rules and regulations that accompany commercial construction and this blog will introduce some of the more basic ones.
Everyone seems to be a smart shopper today. Of course, retailers make it easier with digital coupons and other savings opportunities. But, there are ways to make significant savings in your home especially when it comes to energy. Try some of the following ideas and track the difference it makes in how much you have left over at the end of each month.
• Buy energy efficient bulbs for your home. Today’s light bulbs will provide lighting that lasts for hours longer and also reduce emissions because they will require less electricity to be generated at power plants. This is not only good for your costs but helps the environment as well.
• Most appliances are now designed to operate much more efficiently in the home by using less electricity. For example, today’s water heater operates more efficiently by heating the water as it is needed and not keeping an entire tank of water hot all the time. Washers and dryers are also made to use less electricity when they are operating.
• Incorporate ‘passive’ solar design concepts into your home wherever possible. For example, replace older windows with more energy efficient ones, and be sure that your home is properly insulated and sealed tight against heat and air loss during the summer and winter months.
• Purchase drapes or blinds that keep heat out in the summer and in during the winter. All types of materials that are being made for modern homes try to support energy efficiency. For example, draperies are often lined with insulation.
• Use the tried and true method of turning things off that aren’t in use and even unplugging them. Of course, your refrigerator, washer and dryer will always need to be plugged in. Even such things as Google Home must remain plugged in to be able to work on a moment’s notice. But, if you have electric appliances that you only use sporadically – unplug them!
• Do an inventory of your home to see other ways you may be able to save energy. You might consider having a representative from the electric company help you find energy cost savings or use professionals from other companies.
Show me the home that doesn’t have at least one gaming system and I will show you a home without kids or with owners who were born before the gaming revolution. Gaming system companies have been under the gun for years about the amount of electricity they may be using. In response they created a ‘energy standby mode’ that purportedly helps to cut down on the amount of energy they use to remain ‘on the ready’. And now that gaming systems are becoming the hub for streaming entertainment, these devices are becoming what has been labeled ‘energy vampires’.
Most people consider static electricity to be nothing more than a nuisance and the cause of the occasional shock. Sometimes you can see the electric arc and the result is painful. Static electricity on your clothes can cause them to stick. But, static electricity can be the driver of bigger problems, especially in the workplace.
Most people have experienced some type of minor fire outbreak inside or outside the home. Fires can be ignited from a variety of problems such as dry brush that catches fire from a simple machine spark or an overheating frying pan that flames up on a gas range. Research confirms that 7% of the fires in a home begin from an electrical source which is usually harder to identify and as a result are often more dangerous and destructive.
Probably most homeowners, especially those with older homes, have experienced the phenomenon of flickering lights. If you do not need new light bulbs – and that would be the first question you would want to answer – then there are other issues you can look into yourself before calling a specialist with an electrical services company. Here are several reasons why the lights might flicker.
Have a toddler or two crawling around? No question children are one of the greatest gifts in life but the responsibility for keeping them safe can be daunting. Their curiosity is only matched by their ability to get into everything. There are a number of suggestions new parents should take to heart when childproofing your home against electric accidents.
If you are a business owner there are few things more important than meeting your obligation of being on time for a job. Clients rely on companies that are able to meet their word and be on time for appointments while also completing a job in the amount of time promised and/or allotted. If you have a contract that contains strict schedules, failing to meet your obligations could cost you the job. This is true in nearly every industry but there are few places more time sensitive than when dealing with electric services. Let’s take a moment to consider what you are telegraphing to a client or customer with your approach to time.
When people buy a home they tend to look at the interior and exterior of the property and overlook its ‘guts’ and nothing is gutsier in a house than its electric system. But, because the average homeowner knows or understands little about electricity – and this is not an indictment, after all electricity is a sophisticated subject – it is usually not discussed until something goes wrong! So, how can we help you as an electrical service company? Here are just a few of the services we provide to help put your mind at ease.
Today there are specialty doctors, lawyers, cooks, teachers and managers. In fact, as the world becomes more complex, it is almost necessary to choose a specific skill set due to the demands of the job market. Therefore, it should not be a surprise to learn that there are different types of electricians that perform specific jobs. You may find the following information interesting and valuable as you go about your personal and professional lives.