You’re probably aware that there are certain codes that govern new construction or building renovations. One type of code is specifically related to electrical systems: the National Electrical Codes or NEC codes. These codes were initiated in 1897 and are updated every three years. The next update will be released in 2020.
At some point, most people need an extension cord somewhere in their home or office. But not all extension cords are created equal. Before you head to the nearest home improvement center, department or grocery store, consider these important factors. Where will the cord be used? Indoors? Outdoors? Both? Do you need it for a computer, or in the garage for a heavy-duty power tool? Is the cord going to be used on a long-term basis or only for a short time?
There are “old wives tales” about many topics, but did you know there are still a lot of myths about electricity? We’ll take a look at the top 5 myths and give you the facts. See if you knew the facts or still believe the myths.
1. Power Lines Are Insulated
Insulation is a material that doesn’t conduct electricity, or conducts very little. The cords on appliances are insulated using rubber coatings. Most power lines are not insulated. Weather or other elements may have damaged those that are insulated. Never go near any power lines, they are always dangerous.
According to figures from the U.S. Fire Administration, Americans experience 25,000 electrical fires per year. These events cause property damage and up to 1,300 cases of injury or death per year. Sadly, most of these fires could have been avoided. Here are the common causes of electrical fires in the home:
Misusing Extension Cords
Incorrect use of extension cords is a common cause of house fires. The Christmas season is the time when most extension cord-related fires occur. People tend to overload their extension cords with plugs from Christmas lights and other devices at this time of the year.
A short circuit, aged equipment or water exposure could be the reason behind a sparking electrical outlet in your home. Sometimes, it just happens normally. So how do you know that there’s something wrong and dangerous with the outlet?
The power that runs through outlets is fast and hot. Power should ideally flow through the circuit and back out to the main grid without interruptions. Your home outlets uses this fast-moving current to give you the power needed to run your air conditioning unit, refrigerator, stove, as well as other devices that rely on electric power.