Every day electricians are called to homes to undo what a well-intentioned do-it-yourselfer has done. Electrical projects can be some of the most challenging for non-professionals, and can result in serious problems. Listed below are a few of the most common mistakes home do-it-yourselfers make.
There are some projects around your house that are not safe for the Do-It-Yourself to tackle. In particular, projects that require electrical upgrades are best left to experts. Most people lack the knowledge about the intricacies of a home’s wiring and mistakes could be costly or dangerous.
If you suddenly get a higher-than-usual electricity bill, the first thing to do is ask your energy supplier in case they have committed some mistakes in computing your energy consumption. If your power company insists it has not made any error, there may be something wrong within your electrical system. Here are the potential culprits behind your high electricity consumption:
Keeping an old wiring system or having insufficient amperage can pose danger to your home. Here are some indications it is time to upgrade your electrical system:
You Live In An Old House
Older homes may be charming and unique, but they are often full of electrical issues because just a few decades ago, families did not have the entertainment centers, extra appliances and all the electronic items we have today which translates to higher electrical loads. When you lose power whenever you run your microwave and coffee maker at the same time, this could be a sign that it is time to upgrade your electrical system.
According to figures from the U.S. Fire Administration, Americans experience 25,000 electrical fires per year. These events cause property damage and up to 1,300 cases of injury or death per year. Sadly, most of these fires could have been avoided. Here are the common causes of electrical fires in the home:
Misusing Extension Cords
Incorrect use of extension cords is a common cause of house fires. The Christmas season is the time when most extension cord-related fires occur. People tend to overload their extension cords with plugs from Christmas lights and other devices at this time of the year.
Figures from the U.S. Fire Administration show that American fire departments respond to about 26,000 residential electrical fires every year, which are responsible for nearly 300 preventable deaths and more than 1,100 injuries. These incidents also cost more than $1 billion in property damage.
Checking your home’s electrical wiring is one of the best ways to prevent these tragedies from happening but how do you know that your house needs rewiring? Here are some of the signs to watch out for:
Rodents chew virtually everything; they do not just gnaw on edible items. They also chew wires and insulation, which could result in electrical malfunctions and hazards in your home. Damaged electrical connections and insulation may result in a deadly electrical fire so it is crucial that you protect your electrical wiring from pests and address the damage as soon as possible.
The cold winter months come with a range of electrical hazards. Being proactive can help ensure the safety of your family. Here are the electric issues that you need to watch out for this season:
Damaged Heating Appliances
Homes use heaters and electrical blankets to combat the cold of the winter but these appliances are also potentially dangerous and faulty, particularly when they have been stored away for a while.