Power outages can happen at any time and can be caused by snow, high winds, lightning, a car accident, equipment failure, or even animals. Whatever the cause, it’s important for you to know what to do to safeguard your home, and your family, during and after a power outage.
If you suddenly get a higher-than-usual electricity bill, the first thing to do is ask your energy supplier in case they have committed some mistakes in computing your energy consumption. If your power company insists it has not made any error, there may be something wrong within your electrical system. Here are the potential culprits behind your high electricity consumption:
According to figures from the U.S. Fire Administration, Americans experience 25,000 electrical fires per year. These events cause property damage and up to 1,300 cases of injury or death per year. Sadly, most of these fires could have been avoided. Here are the common causes of electrical fires in the home:
Misusing Extension Cords
Incorrect use of extension cords is a common cause of house fires. The Christmas season is the time when most extension cord-related fires occur. People tend to overload their extension cords with plugs from Christmas lights and other devices at this time of the year.
A short circuit, aged equipment or water exposure could be the reason behind a sparking electrical outlet in your home. Sometimes, it just happens normally. So how do you know that there’s something wrong and dangerous with the outlet?
The power that runs through outlets is fast and hot. Power should ideally flow through the circuit and back out to the main grid without interruptions. Your home outlets uses this fast-moving current to give you the power needed to run your air conditioning unit, refrigerator, stove, as well as other devices that rely on electric power.
It is the holiday season, the most wonderful time of the year when millions of families across the U.S. decorate their homes. While holiday decorating adds fun and warmth to this very special season, Christmas decorations carry risk of fire or electrical injury if they are not used properly. Here are some tips to keep you safe from electrical hazards this Christmas: