Children and toddlers are curious about everything and they spend lots of time on the floor where electric outlets are located. If they can’t put things in their mouths, they’ll try putting their fingers into interesting looking places. Take advantage of the many options available to protect the little people in your home.
There are some projects around your house that are not safe for the Do-It-Yourself to tackle. In particular, projects that require electrical upgrades are best left to experts. Most people lack the knowledge about the intricacies of a home’s wiring and mistakes could be costly or dangerous.
Figures from the U.S. Fire Administration show that American fire departments respond to about 26,000 residential electrical fires every year, which are responsible for nearly 300 preventable deaths and more than 1,100 injuries. These incidents also cost more than $1 billion in property damage.
Checking your home’s electrical wiring is one of the best ways to prevent these tragedies from happening but how do you know that your house needs rewiring? Here are some of the signs to watch out for:
A short circuit, aged equipment or water exposure could be the reason behind a sparking electrical outlet in your home. Sometimes, it just happens normally. So how do you know that there’s something wrong and dangerous with the outlet?
The power that runs through outlets is fast and hot. Power should ideally flow through the circuit and back out to the main grid without interruptions. Your home outlets uses this fast-moving current to give you the power needed to run your air conditioning unit, refrigerator, stove, as well as other devices that rely on electric power.