home electrician,residential , commercial
Written by John Mullen

Signs of Electrical Problems In Your Home

Many home electrical problems show early warning signs before they become more serious. Identifying these symptoms can help homeowners make repairs that can prevent dangerous situations that may potentially lead to property damage. Here are some of the signs that may indicate potential electrical problems in your home:

Electrical Shock From Appliances

If you are experiencing mild shocks when touching a particular appliance, it could mean a ground fault in the appliance or improper electrical wiring. Some mild shocks, such as those you may experience after crossing a carpeted surface, may not be a cause for concern but you need to take other types of electrical shocks more seriously.

Light Switches And Electrical Outlets That Do Not Work

Light switches and receptacles that work intermittently could mean that wiring is loose or the device is cracked internally. A plug that partially falls out could result in an unsuspecting individual accidentally receiving an electrical shock when unplugging the cord.

Hot Ceiling Fixtures

Check the area around your home’s ceiling light fixtures for warmth since not all fixtures are well insulated. If you exceed the maximum recommended wattage for a bulb, the fixture may overheat and pose a fire hazard. If you’re still using incandescent bulbs, switch to compact fluorescent light (CFL) or light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs because these do not produce as much heat as incandescent lights.

Tripping Of Circuit Breakers

Circuit breakers will trip when a circuit is overloaded. By shutting off the electrical supply, the breaker can prevent the wires from overheating. Breakers may also trip when they become old. Occasional tripping could mean an overload. You should consult an electrician if the tripping of the circuit breakers occurs more frequently.

Troubleshooting Electrical Problems Yourself Can Be Risky

Although it is possible for you to troubleshoot some of the electrical problems in your home yourself, remember that you need to be cautious when working with electricity. Electrical shocks can cause serious injury and possibly even death.

Home electrical problems call for diagnosis and repair from a professional electrician experienced at fixing electrical and wiring problems. If you have spotted signs of electrical problems in your home, contact J.M Mullen Electrical Services. Our experienced and customer oriented electricians will be happy to help you with any electrical issues that you have in your home.