Electrican,J.M. Mullen Electric
Written by John Mullen

Electrical Q and A’s

As a certified and experienced electrical contractor, I find people coming to me for advice on any number of related subjects. As a result, this blog will be devoted to providing answers to some of the most common queries I receive.

Q. Could our home be in danger of storm surge?

A. Storm surge is an abnormal rise in water due to a storm that can cause flooding. There are certain locations in the country that are more prone to storm surges than others. If you live near water there is the possibility that a strong rainstorm could cause water banks to overflow and result in flooding to your home. Even in the driest states in the country, there have been occasional instances of flooding. You should speak to your insurer to find out more.

Q. I keep having outages in the same location and it is becoming more common. Then this morning I had the same thing happen but when I turned on the stove everything started to work again! What should I do?

A This continued occurrence is not a good sign as you now have evidence that there is trouble with the wiring in your house. The causes could be many; start with determining when your house was built and what were the electrical requirements at the time. For example, what type of wiring was used? It’s a good idea to contact a contractor and have a professional examination of your electrical system.

Q. I get shocked by static electricity often in my home. Do you have any suggestions on how to avoid this?

A. Static shocks are no fun and can be painful. One of the most common ways that static builds up is when you are walking around on carpet. After a while this redistribution of electrical charges ends in a release that hurts! One way to avoid static shock is to wear rubber-soled shoes as rubber is an excellent insulator. Also, the type of clothes you wear can make you more prone to electric shocks. Don’t wear synthetic fabrics, like rayon, nylon, and polyester, as they conduct electricity well. In addition, layering your clothes increases the likelihood of getting shocked. Finally, keep a humidifier going as this will also lessen the chance of static buildup.

Have an electrical question? Contact J. M. Mullen Electrical Services – we have your answer!