Electrical contractor in Annapolis MD
Written by Stu Kushner

Common Causes Of Electrical Fires In The House

According to figures from the U.S. Fire Administration, Americans experience 25,000 electrical fires per year. These events cause property damage and up to 1,300 cases of injury or death per year. Sadly, most of these fires could have been avoided. Here are the common causes of electrical fires in the home:

Misusing Extension Cords

Incorrect use of extension cords is a common cause of house fires. The Christmas season is the time when most extension cord-related fires occur. People tend to overload their extension cords with plugs from Christmas lights and other devices at this time of the year. 

Extension cords are also a temporary solution. Do no use them as a permanent solution to plug several items into one location.

Space Heaters

Space heaters use super-heated coils that can get incredibly hot. This can instantly set fire to beddings, curtains, carpets and other nearby combustible materials. If you need to use a space heater during winter, choose the enclosed radiator type device, which does not have any exposed heating elements that can catch things on fire. It is still wise to keep these devices away from beds, furniture, and other items that can easily burn.

Using The Wrong Light Bulbs

Light fixtures and lamps have a maximum allowable wattage. Avoid electrical fires caused by light bulbs by checking the light fixture or lamp for their recommended wattage.

Faulty Wiring

Faulty wiring is the number one cause of electrical fires.  Old homes are at higher risk of having faulty and overloaded wiring. About two decades ago, homes did not have the same quantity of electrical appliances in their home. An older home’s electrical system cannot handle all the modern-day electrical demands resulting in damage to appliances, wiring and the breaker box.

In November 2016, an adventurous weasel shut down the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland, considered the world’s largest and most complex machine. The rodent chewed through an electrical cord, shutting down the entire facility. Rodents such as rats, mice, and squirrels can also compromise the wiring in your home. They may get into your home through tiny holes and gaps and chew on the cords. These pests may be small, but they pose significant threats to your electrical system.

Contact us here at JM Electrical Service if you suspect any faulty or overloaded wiring in your home to request an inspection to identify any problems in your electrical