There are some projects around your house that are not safe for the Do-It-Yourself to tackle. In particular, projects that require electrical upgrades are best left to experts. Most people lack the knowledge about the intricacies of a home’s wiring and mistakes could be costly or dangerous.
Keeping an old wiring system or having insufficient amperage can pose danger to your home. Here are some indications it is time to upgrade your electrical system:
You Live In An Old House
Older homes may be charming and unique, but they are often full of electrical issues because just a few decades ago, families did not have the entertainment centers, extra appliances and all the electronic items we have today which translates to higher electrical loads. When you lose power whenever you run your microwave and coffee maker at the same time, this could be a sign that it is time to upgrade your electrical system.
According to figures from the U.S. Fire Administration, Americans experience 25,000 electrical fires per year. These events cause property damage and up to 1,300 cases of injury or death per year. Sadly, most of these fires could have been avoided. Here are the common causes of electrical fires in the home:
Misusing Extension Cords
Incorrect use of extension cords is a common cause of house fires. The Christmas season is the time when most extension cord-related fires occur. People tend to overload their extension cords with plugs from Christmas lights and other devices at this time of the year.